Tuesday 27 August 2013

Pete Sheppo



Tonight at the Sydney Rd IGA I saw former emo/crust scene legend and all-round funny guy Pete Sheppo. We used to go to shows in the middle part of the last decade and end up talking about footy, doing nothing to shrink my reputation as a jock who discovered punk. 

Once, outside a show at the Arthouse, some kids were trying to figure out if you could actually pick up change while doing the picking up change dance. "I dunno." Pete prompted them, "Why don't you throw down some change and I'll see how I go." The kids emptied their pockets and waited in expectation. Pete simply walked in, picked up their change in a decidedly non-musical manner, then walked back into the bar, leaving those now-a-little-poorer kids dumbfounded. They probably spent the rest of the night updating their myspace blogs with rants about the lack of the unity in the hardcore scene. I think pete spent the money on beer. Or maybe he was straight edge. I don't remember.

I reckon I haven't seen him for five or six years. We met eyes briefly, obviously recognized each other, then went on our own separate ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment